All Saints' Church
Low Green, Great Ayton, TS9 6NN
The Church of All Saints' is the oldest recorded building in Great Ayton, built in the late 12th century, and although some parts have been changed over the centuries (notably the addition of the porch in the 13th century and the removal of the original tower and western part of the nave in 1880), the main construction of the church is, in the main, unaltered. The candlelit interior is mostly from the 18th century and features a distinctive 3 decker pulpit with sounding board.in the 12th century during the Norman period. The Church is located just a short walk from the Low Green. All Saints' churchyard is home to the Cook Family grave where Captain James Cook's mother and five siblings are buried. All Saints' was the main Parish church until is became too small to accommodate the growing village population which lead to the building of Christ Church in 1876.